Saturday, April 28, 2007

Running Away

Today The Kid in our house got a big fat spankin'! And I do mean big!! Of course he asked for it, as surely as if he'd come right up to me and said, "Please spank me now!" He had been whining, complaining, arguing, and being generally disobedient all morning and into the afternoon long. Then he just had to hand me the last straw - you know, the one that broke the camel's back! Well, it was my back and I broke - all on his little booty! When I was done, he glared at me and said, "I am running away." I told him I would miss him. Then to really get to me, I guess, he said, "and I'm taking Harry." looong pause...."I mean it, I'm ruuning away and I'm really taking Harry."

Harry is the wild (yet sweet) dog that lives with us. Well, most of the time he does. He belongs to us and has had several tags with our address on them. We feed him and even had him fixed. Thing about Harry is - he has a straying kinda heart - he just can't be a one-family-dog. He spends a lot of time checking out his options. The other thing about Harry is that he is an escape artist. Knowing he has a straying heart, we keep him on a lead in the back yeard. But he manages to get away anyway, sometimes even dragging the wire or chain along with the stake, behind him. Just about everyone in the neighborhood knows he is ours and we hope they'll just keep bringing him back when they can catch him. oh...and he always comes home...eventually.

Well, you can imagine my most immediate thoughts when The Kid said he was running away and taking Harry. (To be perfectly honest, my first thought was, "No wait, you stay here and let me run away, pleeeeease.") I almost busted out laughing at the picture of those two running away together - a boy and his dog. To keep from cracking up - I quietly and seriously got up and walked back to my bedroom. And would you believe who showed up one minute later, saying "I changed my mind. I'm not going to run away." Next thing you know we were huggin' on each other and all was well.

I still want to laugh out loud, just thinking about it! Don't you just know that God sees my waywardness and smiles, maybe even laughs out loud, just thinkin' "That poor girl thinks she can run away from me and just look what she's dragging along behind her. Why, she'll never get anywhere like that!" Yet He loves me and loves for me to crawl up into His lap and say, "I think I'll stay here for now."

Thank you, God, for loving this runaway child!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome spiritual application. How our children can teach us so much I will never know. And it also makes me feel normal that a mom who usually has the most perfect words and kind heart can come to the end of her rope. And still deliver instruction and smile. I love learning from you. You are a great mom

Anonymous said...

You can always tie a great lesson out of everyday things. I love that about you.

Kearsmom said...

Isn't it good that our children make us smile even when they are naughty? I think God's the same way...He loves us even when we are naughty.

Junebug said...

Quit spanking the kid and maybe he won't want to run away. Buy him some more toys!

That's what I say!!!

Kearsmom said...

Hey, I know what you should do. Send the kid over to talk to Kearsdad. Just ask Junebug...

Carie said...

I love this post, so cute! What a great writer you are! I'll bet you are a great story teller too! I don't visit here often enough, I think I will start!

Kearsmom said...

Yes, CM, she is the awesomest storyteller evah!