Friday, April 27, 2007

The Shrinking Machine

Everyone who knows the kid at our house knows that he loves to invent things. Lately, he has been working overtime on a solar powered shrinking machine. He has built it using one of everything he could find, held together with lots and lots and lots of tape. An unsharpened red pencil is the on-off switch. It is not so big but it doesn't have to be. According to The Kid, the solar power is what makes it work so well. He worked on it for two days while I was out of town. He left me three voice mail messages about it.
When I got home, he had to show it to me. It was being tested...sitting on the chair with an apple in front of it. Since the apple had not shrunk, The Kid quickly figured there was not nearly enough solar power. He invites me to join him outside and finds the perfect sun-catching spot. Then he instructed me to stand in front of it. I was so afraid! Really! Not because I thought I'd shrink (oh how I wish!) but because I knew the machine wouldn't work and I didn't want to see his feelings hurt.
Well, I stood there as he flipped the red-wooden-pencil to turn on the machine. It did not work! He was not sad though. He immediately began to check it out. Oh no! The solar power was just not enough to make a machine like that run!
As I stood in front of that machine, I did think that it would be quite all right with me if I did shrink. Next I found myself considering the other parts of me that needed shrinking.....like my big bad attitude, my big need to be in control, and so much more that i really don't want other people to know.
So I am encouraging The Kid to stick with that machine until it works in every way, shrinking every one of my issues. If he could get it to work, he could be a young tycoon supporting us in a grand way!
In the meantime, I'll trust Jesus to shrink my problems and issues. After all, He IS the original Solar Power~~

6 comments:

The Mom said...

First of all I am laughing that you wrote a blog at 1:20 am.

My next thought is...how many times has the kid watched Honey I Shrunk the Kids?

If he does get that machine working...I am in line after you!

Junebug said...

I have several things that need shrinking...not the least of which is my big fat butt!! ahahahahahah

Anyway, yall need to buy him one of those snap circuit sets from Radio Shack. That way he can make stuff that actually works. He would be all over that!!! Then you can quit pretending that his stuff works and he will get the satisfaction of truly inventing something!

Trust me. This is a very good idea! And if you don't do it relatively soon, I think I will just buy it for him myself.

Junebug said...

And just so everyone knows...I made a deal with BB a couple a years ago that she would not be staying up after midnight.

Decide for yourself if she has kept her end of the deal.

I'm just sayin.

The Mom said...

bb going to be bed before midnight??!! i don't know what i would do if that ever happened! my world would not the same. i mean who else can i call when i go to walmart at 11:30 pm?

The Mom said...

also, i am wishing i could shrink all my stuff right now! it sure would make this move a lot easier!

also, i think junebug just gave you an awesome idea for a birthday present!

Carie said...

oooh, does it shrink wrinkles and stretch marks? Put me on the list!