Saturday, April 7, 2007

A Quiet Place

Yesterday, on Sesame Street, Ernie visited his special quiet place where he goes to think. He even had a song to sing about his special place under an apple tree. After that song was over, it occurred to me to ask The Kid if he had his own special quiet place. He nodded his head and pointed outside...then he said very softly, "with my dog." "What do you do in your quiet place?" I asked. "I just think," was his reply.

Now for those of you who have met The Dog, you will understand when I say that "with the dog" is not exactly the quietest place around our house. In fact the dog is very loud and busy, but for some unexplainable reason, he will sit still and quietly with The Kid. (This is only after, of course, several minutes of wild running and jumping and barking - and the dog is pretty loud, too!!!)

All this to say, I remembered today that we all need quiet times and places to have those. I am also reminded that, in this day of much activity and busy schedules, we must be sure to allow for our kids to have times and places of quiet so they can just sit and think. I believe that "sitting and thinking" may be becoming a lost art.

What about you? Do you have a "quiet place?" Do your kids?
There may be more wisdom to be found on Sesame Street than we knew!

7 comments:

The Mom said...

sitting and thinking is a lost art. i agree. i think though it because we are scared of what we will think about when we sit and think. it is sometimes easier to push things down inside and not think about them.

i am glad the kid has a place to think. it is good for him to think a lot right now and process things.

Junebug said...

I am pretty sure I sit and think a little TOO much. And I don't have any certain place...I can get lost in my own thoughts pretty much anywhere.

I am glad the kiddo can sit and think...he has alot to deal with. However, how he can sit and think with that dog is beyond me!

Seriously, Manders came up with a profile pic. Why aren't you following along? Don't you want to be just like us?!! I'm just askin.

Kearsmom said...

Oh man! I could really use a quiet place today! Can I come borrow Austin's????????????????

Kearsmom said...

Oh man! I sure could use a quiet place today! Can I come borrow Austin's??

And yes, I do want to be like Junebug and Manders...working on it!

Kearsmom said...

and I have no idea why that posted two times....

B's Blog said...

Sit? Think? Hmmmm! Sounds lovely.
My man talks about how he likes to do this. I suppose if I had the time, I wouldn't know where to begin thinking. Well, kids are sleeping and it is just 9pm. Can I go and sit? Not! Dishes are calling. Maybe later. Hmmm. Zzzz.

southernutahgirl said...

I love quiet places!!! I can get lost in my own day dreams pretty much anywhere but my favorite is to drive in a quiet. I have no real quiet place at home but I am so proud that the kid has one and I hope he keeps it. Everything we needed to know we probably could have learned on sesame street????