Sunday, April 8, 2007

Easters Past

Today I wore my old black pants, a cute black (hand-me-down) sweater, and sensible (that means comfy but not too cute) black shoes to church on Easter Sunday because it was just too cold to wear the lightweight linen dress I've been saving for Easter. I thought, for a very brief time, "no one wears their old clothes on Easter Sunday to church...what if someone sees me? I am wearing my old clothes." (Don't get me wrong...I've worn not-so-new stuff on Easter, but I usually went out of my way to make it look fresh by adding new accessories or shoes.) But then I remembered that it's a new day and no one will care if I am not wearing a new dress. They will just be glad I am here.

I remember Easters in the not-so-distant past when I would have died before wearing something old and from the wrong season on Easter Sunday. I am so glad that, at least for me, those days are in the past.

When I was a kid, my mom always sewed my Easter dresses. They almost always matched the dresses my sisters wore. Of course, there were matching hats, shoes, and gloves to top it all off. Sometimes even my mom had a matching dress, if she had enough time and fabric left. I remember feeling sad for her if she didn't get to wear a new dress on Easter.

Wonder what I would have thought of her if she had worn old black pants and a sweater to church on Easter Sunday?

The main thing to me is truly that I serve a great big God who is alive and has set me free! With Him and in Him all things are made new and fresh! He clothes the earth with indescribable beauty and provides all my needs as well. Who am I that He would care for me? I am His child and He loves me! Yeah and amen!!!

9 comments:

Kearsmom said...

Oh, YES! And Amen!

Junebug said...

You know I love you no matter what you wear. Of course, by the time I got off camera in the 3rd service, you were gone...so I didn't get to see you at all.

Also, I love how you take regular ole stuff and make it into a lesson to be learned...or re-learned. God is good to teach me through you. You should be workin with children...or the likes of me! :-)

B's Blog said...

I say.....as long as you take a bath, you are ok in my book wearing anything...as long as it is something. :~) You know I don't have a problem with recycled clothes. One of the many things I have learned while living in Latvia.

B's Blog said...

Just want to try something.

B's Blog said...

It worked!!!!

Anonymous said...

i wore old stuff on sunday too. but i had on a necklace I got for christmas from my mom-n-law. She came to church so i thought i should wear it so she could see it on me. people shouldn't care what you have on. and if they do, so what! we don't go to church for the outfits. :) love you much.

The Mom said...

i wore old stuff too! if wild man and little one had gone to church they would have both worn old stuff too. well new to them, but definitely worn before. we live on hand me downs!

southernutahgirl said...

I wore old black pants and a shirt from sams so I feel understand. No matter what we wear God looks at out hearts and how they are "dressed".

BB said...

Good thought, southernutahgirl!