Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Funny Things I Want to Remember

In the past few days, The Kid in our house has had some funny-to-us things to say. In my own attempt to remember them, I will post them here....

Sunday after church, I asked him to pick up the two pairs of shoes he had in the middle of the den floor. I asked him again and again. After the third request, sure he understood the seriousness of my request, I moved on into the kitchen. A minute later he called to me, "Mom, come look, I picked my shoes up." I walked back into the den. He was standing on a chair, holding his hoes up in the air! He said, "Get it? I picked my shoes UP!" Great..a smart aleck in the making!

Later that same afternoon, we went back to church. While I was preparing for a meeting, he was perfecting his "invisible machine" - a chenille stem twisted into a bracelet with a contruction paper pouch holding a AA battery. (He'd been working on its development since the Thursday before.) Over and over he would "turn it on" and ask if I could see him. I would pretend not to since, after all, it was an invisible machine. As I was concentrating on finishing something for an upcoming meeting, he asked again, "Hey Mom, can you see me?" I nonchalantly answered, "Of course I can." He walked over to me and said, in his most serious voice, "Mom, have you been lying to me? You told me you couldn't see me, but you really could, couldn't you?" OOPS!

Monday while on staff retreat, I called him. As we were talking, I saw a fox walk by. I told him about it. He said, "Quick, go look on the internet how to make a fox trap. Then catch it and bring it home!" Like I want a fox in my house!

As soon as I got home on Tuesday he ran up to me and said, "I will go to Carlos' house when pigs fly. That means never! Ha!" (Someone had explained that saying to him the night before and told me that he had already applied to visiting Carlos...it was funny to hear him say it himself, though.)

Tonight he watched a science show on PBS about the evolution of flowers. (He loves Science shows!) As soon as it was over, he came to me and said, "Mom, I have to go to the California Academy of Science right now." I said I didn't think that would be possible today, so he said, "I'll just go ask dad." He walked toward the back door because his dad was outside, then quickly backed up and said, "Where did I say I wanted to go?" He makes me laugh!

I have wondered more than once why God chose to put a child in our home at our age, but I am so glad He did. The Kid in our house reminds to laugh and not take ourselves so seriously. God has used this boy over and over to remind us that some things really are big deals (like cuddling and sitting and listening, making eye contact and laughing at made-up jokes) and some things are not big deals after all (like muddy shoes or playing games by different rules). God has also used this sweet thing to remind us that He is a sovereign God, a righteous Judge, the author of Truth, and the finisher of His plans. We look in the eyes of The Kid and see our KING!

7 comments:

southernutahgirl said...

I think our kids are just what you said . Gods way of reminding us of what is truly important. I love that you remember the funny things he says and does those recorded memories will be a blessing for him later on too. Thanks for sharing!

The Mom said...

i love that boy! he makes me laugh too! i miss him! i think you guys really need to bring him to texas to see me. :-)

Kearsmom said...

He is so funny! And such a blessing! Kat and Banana got a big kick out of the invisible machine.

Junebug said...

Pigs will nevah fly. So go away, Carlos!

Junebug said...

I guess that comment was not exactly Christ-like. Sorry. Not really.

BB said...

no worry - i had the same thoughts, too. i just wish it were so!

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of troubles when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I begin to get real money.
It's all about how to choose a correct companion who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the profit with me.

You may ask, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]