Saturday, June 9, 2007

Just Like Me.....

A wise person once said, "The footsteps a child follows are most likely to be the ones his parents thought they covered up."
Following is a personal case in point.....
Company was coming soon and the house needed cleaned up - quickly. The Kid offered to clean his room and off he ran. He even ran out to the laundry room to get an empty laundry basket to fill. Now I knew there were no dirty clothes in his room, but who was I to stop him and his zealous efforts to clean up? I was one proud mom! Proud, that is, until a short time later, I saw him dragging the laundry basket filled with the toys from his bedroom floor into the computer room. (That just happens to be the place I usually drag my stuff to hide it from company!) As he closed the door to the computer room and announced that he was done, there was nothing I could do but laugh out loud!
My momma always said "what goes around, comes around." I knew, at that moment, exactly what she meant.
My question is this: Why do kids do so well copying the bad habits we have while completely missing the great stuff we try to model?
I have two thoughts at this point:
1. You never know who's watching, so be careful to "be an example..." I want to be able to say, with confidence, like Paul did..."Look at how I live and copy me..."
2. You might be able to hide junk in the computer room, but you can't hide a thing from God! (Or your kids!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will always say my kids get the best and the worst of me. especially the oldest. I wish the worst she would forget but she does not. Luckly God loves all of me even the worst!