Saturday, June 9, 2007

A Little Hug Will Do It!

I am officially a full-fledged member of the sandwich generation - with a mom and a grandson both living in my home. I feel hugely responsible for the happiness and well-being of both - for two very different reasons....my mom, because she cared so unselfishly for me when I was growing up (and even still) and The Kid, because, well, he's a kid with flaked-out biological parents. What's been so fun to watch is the special relationship developing between the two of them. Gran's room is The Kid's haven (he even has a special sitting place on the end of her daybed) and, more than once, I've seen The Kid make Gran smile when no one else could have. (And for some reason, she always seems to have marshmellows and candy whenever he wants them. I don't seem to remember her having those when I was a kid!)

Well, Gran has been in the hospital alot lately and The Kid feels her absence in the house. He said, "Something feels different in this place" the second night she was gone. And tonight he called the hospital to ask when she was coming home.

One night, as he visited Gran in the hospital, he gently hugged her and watched the monitor to see if his hugs would make the numbers climb. He prayed over her silently bowing his head and talking to God in her behalf. Then he met her attending nurse. Before leaving the hospital, he had to talk to the nurse. He said, "I have a tip for you. If you will hug my Gran alot, her numbers will go up, and she will be better soon." A little later as we left, he reminded the nurse, "Remember my tip. But be gentle with her."

Both extremes - a kid and a great-grandma in one home. Some days it makes my life so busy and sometimes it's even a little hard to choose who I need to be with, but most days are a blessing as I watch from my vantage point each one learning from and teaching the other. The Bible is so clear about the older ones teaching the younger ones...I get to see that in my home everday!

My prayer is that God will slow me down enough to remember that gentle hugs make numbers go up and we all feel a little bit better afterwards.

5 comments:

B's Blog said...

consider this a BIG HUG!!! I LOVE YOU!

B's Blog said...

I only wish it could be in person!
You ARE MY hero and I thank God lots for you! Thank you for your own sacrifices - your reward will be great!

BB said...

Thanks...but make it a gentle one! And, in my book, you are the sacrificial one!

Kearsmom said...

That made me cry! What a precious, sweet story! He is one insightful little guy.

I have my own reasons for loving his "great-gran" the way I do...she loved my own precious babies all those months I had to work...and I know she still does. And they love her. What would I have done without her to tell me when to feed them cereal, and when to try green beans, and what to do about teething....and I could go on and on. Hug her gently for me too!!

Anonymous said...

This story is book worthy for sure. Along with any part of your life. This is such a special thing they have that not many kids have with thier grandparents. Hug them all for me.