Thursday, February 21, 2008

What Is the World Coming To?

I heard many adults ask this question when I was growing up. I always thought that if they didn't know, I sure didn't! And why in the world would they ask a kid who lacked the knowledge and experience needed to ask such a big question.

Today I was sitting in a class listening to an expert talk about the state of today's family and it made me so sad. Things like "the welfare of kids in MS is the worst in our country" and "last year alone, there were 50 recorded births to 12 year old girls in MS" and "MS has the third highest teen birth rate in the country" and "55% of kids live in a home with 2 parents but not necessarly their biological parents" and "36% of kids in our country live apart from their biological dads."

Add to that that the sense of entitlement our kids are growing up with (I want it and I want it NOW!) and the pervasiveness of media in their lives, and the state of childhood, especially in our state, seems miserable. Who would choose to be a kid today.

Somehow kids have got to be able to have the opportunity to learn that their lives are not meant to be hollow, empty, shallow, or lived in fear of what tomorrow might- or might not- hold. It makes my job seem very important and necessary, but also very overwhelming. More than ever we must be redeeming the time with our kids and teaching them to be doing the same.

Makes me want to say, "Come back soon, Jesus!"

I bet He's shaking his head asking the big question that has no good answer, "What is this world coming to?"

No comments: