Sunday, February 25, 2007

Not Kidstuff...

There are just some things kids should never have to know or think about. I'm thinking of things like how much the house note is, how we're going to pay for the car repairs, why otherwise good people do bad things, and that there are people in life who will let you down. Kids ought to get to be kids and worry only about things like where to get mud when it hasn't rained for days, how to talk mom into chocolate instead of green beans for supper, and how long a lego structure can be saved before someone knocks it down.

Lately, I've met too many kids who have to worry about big things like rejection, being ignored by a parent, abuse, neglect, and plain old fear of people who should be people they can count on. One of them lives in my house. As he faces and deals with such "big boy" stuff, it is becoming more and more difficult to speak about loving forgiveness for grownups who do things that even this 5 year old child knows are not so smart.

If I am certain of anything in life, it is this.....nothing happens to a Child of God by accident; nothing suprises Him, catches Him off guard, or causes Him to second-guess Himself. I am sure of the victory that will be His. I am sure that the last word belongs to Him. And I am sure that somehow the yukkiness of life will be used for good in the lives of these kids.

I just want to know how and why and when......and I want to know it now! But I'm working on waiting.............maybe I'll get it someday. I just hope it won't be too late!

No comments: