Thursday, July 12, 2007

When I Grow Up…..

After spending almost a week apart, The Kid and I were catcing up on lost time. We played and read and sang together. Then it was bathtime. At his request, I stayed in the bathroom while he played in the tub after bathing. We talked and listened to Camp Bebop music.

Times like this (kinda like the times when you are driving and your kids are in the backseat chatting away, forgetting that an adult can hear them) hold the best talk. Half to himself and half to me, he said, “I guess I’ll be a preacher and an inventor when I grow up.” I couldn’t stand it; I had questions, the most obvious of which to me was, “What will you invent?”

As if that was the dumbest question I could have asked, he said, “I’ll invent new ways to tell other people about Jesus, of course.” Then he continued, “I’m working on a bubble machine. Bubbles will blow up and then they pop and you never see them again. But God never pops and goes away forever.”

I’m thinking…pretty good object lesson development, especially for a six year old. Following a brief pause, he looked up at me, pointed his finger and said, “And you can use that in your ministry.” Who even knew that he knew I had a ministry????

I can’t wait to see what God has planned for him! In the meantime, I’m asking God to help me see the ordinary everyday stuff as tools that can be used to share Jesus with others. And if I can't figure it out, I'll just ask The Kid!

3 comments:

The Mom said...

wow! i know God has something big for the kid's life. i have known since i saw him for the first time in that tiny hospital baby bed. i just can't wait to see what it is!

Junebug said...

I agree. God must have some big plans for him. One day I'll be looking back, saying I knew him when...

I wonder if he'll still do the eye thing with me when he is all grown up.

Kearsmom said...

Oh my stars!! No Way! The Kid did NOT say that! That is ONE SMART KID!!! Gotta love him!

(I'm laughing-picturing him in the tub pointing at you and saying, "You can use that in your ministry." That is classic!)