Sunday, July 15, 2007

I (Sometimes) Don't Want To Either

Tonight when it was time to leave for Big Church The Kid in my house was one mad dude! He caught a baby box turtle today and he felt the turtle really needed him to stay home. But I am bigger and meaner, so we loaded up. The whole way there The Kid complained. He said he had already heard preaching today; I told him about the guest who would tell stories. He said he hated stories.

Once we arrived and parked in front of the portables, he thought it would be fun to wait there while I attended church. Again, since I am bigger and meaner, we began our long, slow, arduous walk to the front of Big Church. Along the way, there were small hills to run up and down and little banisters to climb and slide down. There were people to talk to and bugs to look at. It took us 10 minutes to walk 50 yards!

We sat up front and he spent the first two songs whining about being in church. Then the preacher’s wife just had to sit right in front of us – the pressure to look happy while secretly wanting to strangle a child during a worship song was on! He did not sit still at all, wiggling all over me and messing up my hair (have I ever said I hate people messing up my hair in public?), and laughing too ridiculously at funny stuff that he didn’t understand. I was not happy with him at all. I even wished I had left him at home – but only for a fleeting moment.

I did wonder, however, how this sweet boy who seems so concerned about the spiritual welfare of others could be so bad at church. This child who loves Jesus and sees the blessings in the smallest things – how could he not want to be at church!? And as I wondered, I heard God asking me the same question, “Barbara, how can you say you love Me, even work for Me, and then not long for fellowship with My children? Why would you ever complain about being in My church?” It’s not often, but I confess that there are times when a little longer in bed or just a break at home sound good to me. Maybe I can be a little more empathetic with The Kid and a little more forgiving as well. After all, he is one of the greatest sources of my life lessons for now.

3 comments:

The Mom said...

one day the kid will thank you for making him go to church. i am sure the preacher's wife did not care...she has been there too.

also, i am glad that the kid is in our family. he teaches you and then you teach me...wow that is amazing!

also, i miss you and the kid and dad very much! i can't wait to see you in a few weeks.

B's Blog said...

Where are you? I miss you! I know you are busy this week, but pleeeeese keep the stories rolling at least one a month. Reading them makes me feel like I am not so far, far away. I love you!

Anonymous said...

Okay sis, finally figured out how to "comment" without an "identity". Been following your blog since you sent me the link... isn't about time for an update?? LOL Love you!! Oh yeah, ask Manders who won her contest!!