Monday, March 19, 2007

Alms for The Kid

As we were leaving the mall one day during the Christmas holidays, The Kid and I saw a man sitting on the sidewalk outside the door. He was playing a harmonica and had his cap sitting out in front of him. I quickly explained what the man was doing and almost as quickly, The Kid said, "give me all of your cash." His sweet heart wanted to help the man out.

But his brain took over and as soon as we got home, he ran to his room. After shuffling through his closet, he came out with his own felt man's hat filled with coins from his bank. He said, "Now I have a hat and some cash. All I need is an instrument to play." He remembered the electronic keyboard he owns, grabbed it, and dashed out of the front door. Before too long, he had the keyboard set to play automatically and very loudly. He sat behind it with his hat in front of it. After a few minutes he came inside completely frustrated because no one was stopping to drop money in the hat. His plan was to move closer to the street; my plan was to fill his hat with all the stray coins in the house. That was not going to be enough for him though.

The next day after church, he set up shop once again. I asked him how long he was going to stay out there. His reply: "when I get enough money." "Enough for what?" I ask. "Enough to buy all the Scooby Do stuff there is!"

Needless to say....although he does have a small collection of Scooby Do stuff, it's not even nearly complete. There just wasn't enough music for that!

1 comment:

The Mom said...

i will have to add to his scooby doo collection for his birthday!