Friday, August 22, 2008

Second grade stuff

It seems like yesterday that I walked The Kid into a three-year old kindergarten classroom. And now he's in second grade. The school is a new one for him (and us, too). And he's off to a great start. He's making friends, playing games on the playground (in his last school, he probably only played outside half a dozen times), picking stuff he wants in his lunch box, figuring out what to say when he's stuck between girls at lunch, learning Bible verses, and falling in love with his teacher! (He's even thinking about writing more neatly just to make her happy!)

Yep, this school's way different from the last. By this time last year, he'd been screamed at by a teacher, left inside to finish seatwork, called a "stinky white boy" and discouraged lots. Homework took forever and "red lights" were all over his calendar. Dropping him off at school was so sad; he looked so dejected before he even got through the first door each day.

There is still homework, but not as much and not on Wednesdays or weekends. Yea! And there are rules, but they are enforced with grace. The Kid has been in school for two and a half weeks now and he has stayed in the blue zone (that's the place you want to be!) all but one day.

On that day, he had to write 20 "I will not talk..." lines. I'm not surprised, but he sure was. It was not his fault - he was only answering someone else's question. and I didn't want him to be rude, did I? He got near the end of writing those lines before he realized he coulda written the word "I" all the down, then the word "will" and so on. That discovery will undoubtedly be put to use many times before his school days are gone.

Well, I am so happy. He comes home smiling and gets out of the car with a happy attitude as well. I wonder if a happy year goes by faster than a tough year? Don't know if I want that, but if time is gonna fly with The Kid, I prefer it with a smile on his face! (And no one better mention third grade, college, or weddings!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally think second grade is the best grade ever! And I am so glad that my little man is enjoying. And hey, I change a lot of lights for talking but (shhh..don't tell) if that is all the kid ever gets in trouble for, I figure we are doing alright! I love to see you, and am proud of the great young man the kid is becoming.

Heather said...

I knew he's fall in love with Ms. Fowler!!

southernutahgirl said...

I am so glad too!!! He will have a great year !!!!

Junebug said...

yeah, well, i toldja!!

seriously, tho...i am SOOOO thankful he's having a better year. he really needs this, huh?